Wednesday, August 18, 2010

GOP - Great Obstructionist Party

The GOP, which used to stand for "Grand Old Party," has become the "Great Obstructionist Party."  I didn't make this up on my own. I'm using the words of Mitch McConnell, the Senate minority leader. In the August 15th edition of the New York Times, the esteemed Senator said “I wish we had been able to obstruct more," in referring to the Republican party's response to legislation enacteed by the Democrats during the past 18 months.

The Senator could easily argue that I'm taking his words out of context. I would not disagree.  However, I would point out that when President Bush, witth the urging of Secretary of Treasury Paulson and Fed Chairman Bernanke, asked for emergency legislation to prevent a meltdown of the nation's financial system the GOP as a party said "no."  They allowed enough Senators and Representatives to vote yes to allow for the bailout package, but the party's heart was obstructed.

The GOP will go to the voters this fall and tell them the party tried to stop "bad legislation" from being enacted. However, the GOP cannot tell the voters of any positve actions that the party implemented or helped to enact. In times of crisis, leadership does not consist of "Just saying no."

No comments: